A total of 60 participants representing 10 counties across the state of Florida, accepted the invitation to participate in the launch of FloridaTURN. Most participated in teams of union & teacher leaders, school or district administration and parent/community leaders. The teams are at varying stages of development in the implementation of teacher evaluation systems and the Common Core standards.
Counties represented: Brevard, Escambia, Hillsborough, Lake, Leon, Okeechobee, Orange, Palm Beach, Dade, and Volusia. Other organizations represented included: AFT, Consortium for Educational Change, The Dolan Group, Florida Education Association, Marlboro School District (NY), MASE TURN, National Education Association, Rochester Federation of Teachers, and Alliance for Pubic Schools.
Featured panelists for "The Political Landscape Impacting Educational Reform" included: Becky Pringle, NEA Secretary-Treasurer; Karen Castor-Dentel, FL State Representative; Melissa Erickson, Hillsborough Alliance for Public Schools; Vince Verges, FL Dept of Education with Dr. Adam Urbanski, TURN Director as moderator.
Panelists on "Leading Through the CCSS - Emerging Case Studies" featured Robin Hecht and John Marallo, Marlboro Central School District, NY and Kathy Breakall and KK Owen, Escambia County School District, FL.
Dr. Adam Urbanski and Dr. Patrick Dolan (via a videotaped segment) discussed the Power of Collaborative Partnership. Dr. Urbanski also provided an orientation to the Teacher Union Reform Network, along with MASE TURN Co-Director, Rick Baumgartner.
Fall Conference: Making Common Sense out of the Common Core
November 15-16, 2013, Orlando
This was the inaugural meeting of Florida TURN. The two-day conference planning and implementation of teacher evaluation systems and the Common Core standards. District teams representing union & teacher leaders, school or district administration and parent/community leaders were encouraged to attend - a total of 60 participants accepted the invitation.
Counties Represented: Brevard, Chatham, Escambia, Hillsborough, Lake, Leon, Okeechobee, Orange, Palm Beach, Dade, and Volusia
A panel on the theme of "The Political Landscape Impacting Educational Reform" included:
- Becky Pringle, NEA Secretary-Treasurer
- Karen Castor-Dentel, FL State Representative
- Melissa Erickson, Hillsborough Alliance for Public Schools
- Vince Verges, FL Dept of Education
- Dr. Adam Urbanski, TURN Director, as moderator.
Breakout Sessions on the CCSS featured:
- A Case for Informational Text - Robin Hecht, Marlboro, NY
- Literature Circles - Anne Copenhaver, Excambia, FL
- Keep Calm and Think Math - Kym Whitehurst-Taylor & Jeanne Wright, Volusia, FL
- Parent Communication Strategies for the CCSS - Robin Hecht, Marlboro, NY
- Professional Development to Support the Implementation of the CCSS in Schools & Classrooms - Ann Delehant, The Dolan Group
- Technology and the CCSS - John Marallo, Marlboro, NY
- Engaging Parents & Community in the CCSS - Melissa Erickson, Alliance for Public Schools
- Creating a Math Module Aligned to the CCSS - John Marallo, Marlboro, NY
- Designing & Delving into the CCSS Lesson with Intervention, Marlboro, NY